Re: WIP: URI connection string support for libpq

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter van Hardenberg <pvh(at)pvh(dot)ca>
Cc: Alexander Shulgin <ash(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WIP: URI connection string support for libpq
Date: 2011-12-13 21:31:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 6:55 PM, Peter van Hardenberg <pvh(at)pvh(dot)ca> wrote:
> I'd like to make the controversial proposal that the URL prefix should
> be "postgres:" instead of "postgresql:". Postgres is a widely accepted
> nickname for the project, and is eminently more pronounceable. Once
> the url is established it will be essentially impossible to change
> later, but right now only a nearly insurmountable mailing list thread
> prevents it.

That, and the fact the JDBC is already doing it the other way. A
reasonable compromise might be to accept either one. AIUI, part of
what Alexander was aiming for here was to "unite the clans", so to
speak, and it would seem a bit unfriendly (and certainly
counter-productive as regards that goal) to pull the rug out from him
by refusing to support that syntax over what is basically a
supermassive bikeshed. However, being generous in what we accept
won't cost anything, so why not?

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company