Re: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review]

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila(at)huawei(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review]
Date: 2013-06-06 16:51:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 7:24 AM, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila(at)huawei(dot)com> wrote:
> On Monday, May 27, 2013 4:17 PM Amit Kapila wrote:
>> On Wednesday, April 03, 2013 11:55 AM Amit Kapila wote:
>> > On Tuesday, April 02, 2013 9:49 PM Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>>

> There are 2 options to proceed for this patch for 9.4
>
> 1. Upload the SET PERSISTENT syntax patch for coming CF by fixing existing
> review comments
> 2. Implement new syntax ALTER SYSTEM as proposed in below mail
>
> Could you suggest me what could be best way to proceed for this patch?

I'm still in favor of some syntax involving ALTER, because it's still
true that this behaves more like the existing GUC-setting commands
that use ALTER (which change configuration for future sessions) rather
the ones that use SET (which change the current settings for some
period of time).

But I can't speak for people who are not me.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company