Re: jsonb and nested hstore

From: Christophe Pettus <xof(at)thebuild(dot)com>
To: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>, Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>
Subject: Re: jsonb and nested hstore
Date: 2014-02-28 07:02:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Feb 27, 2014, at 9:59 PM, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com> wrote:

> I don't find that very reassuring.

Obviously, we have to try it, and that will decide it.

> I don't understand why an extension is seen as not befitting
> of a more important feature.

contrib/ is considered a secondary set of features; I routinely get pushback from clients about using hstore because it's not in core, and they are thus suspicious of it. The educational project required to change that far exceeds any technical work we are talking about here.. There's a very large presentational difference between having a feature in contrib/ and in core, at the minimum, setting aside the technical issues (such as the extensions-calling-extensions problem).

We have an existence proof of this already: if there was absolutely no difference between having things being in contrib/ and being in core, full text search would still be in contrib/.

> You are basically suggesting putting all of hstore in core, because
> jsonb and hstore are approximately the same thing. That seem quite a
> bit more controversial than putting everything in the hstore
> extension.

Well, "controversy" is just a way of saying there are people who don't like the idea, and I get that. But I don't see the basis for the dislike.

--
-- Christophe Pettus
xof(at)thebuild(dot)com