Re: ALTER EXTENSION UPGRADE, v3

From: "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ALTER EXTENSION UPGRADE, v3
Date: 2011-02-11 00:13:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Feb 10, 2011, at 4:11 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

> It's to tell it to create an empty extension in preparation for
> absorbing pre-existing objects from an old-style contrib module.
> See what I mean? WRAPPER is not a useful keyword here.

Reminds me of creating a "shell type" so you can create I/O functions before *actually* creating the type. I don't suppose "SHELL" is available.

That reminds me (OT), it's currently impossible to write an uninstall script for a custom data type because of the circular dependency between a type and its I/O functions. There's no way around that sort of DROP EXTENSION CASCADE, is there?

Best,

David