Can't access Cluster

From: Ralph Smith <smithrn(at)u(dot)washington(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Can't access Cluster
Date: 2007-10-02 21:14:57
Lists: pgsql-general

I'm using 7.4 before we upgrade.
pg_dumpall worked fine on working cluster.
I Imported it all into a virgin install of 7.4 on a different box.
Used pg_ctl to restart that box after the import. All went fine.

On trying to connect as a valid user on that database I get:
DATE TIME FATAL: IDENT authentication failed for user "username"
psql FATAL: IDENT authentication failed for user "username"

On that box pg_hba.conf has...
# TYPE DATABASE USER IP-ADDRESS IP-
MASK METHOD

local all
all ident sameuser
local all
all trust
# IPv4-style local connections:
host all all 127.0.0.1
255.255.255.255 md5
# IPv6-style local connections:
host all all ::1
ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff md5
I thought local would allow me w/ 'all'.

None of the PG____ environment variables are set.
I thought they would be c/o the import all.
Where should I make them permanent?

Ralph Smith
smithrn(at)u(dot)washington(dot)edu