Re: use less space in xl_xact_commit patch

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Leonardo Francalanci <m_lists(at)yahoo(dot)it>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: use less space in xl_xact_commit patch
Date: 2011-06-16 11:25:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 10:55 AM, Leonardo Francalanci <m_lists(at)yahoo(dot)it> wrote:
>> >  On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 3:05 PM, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
> wrote:
>> > Leonardo, can you  submit an updated version of this patch today that
>> > incorporates Simon's  suggestion?
>

> Mmmh, maybe it was simpler than I thought; I must be
> missing something... patch attached

No, I think it is that simple.

Patch looks OK on initial eyeball. More detailed review to follow.

With regards to the naming, I think it would be better if we kept
XLOG_XACT_COMMIT record exactly as it is now, and make the second
record an entirely new record called XLOG_XACT_COMMIT_FASTPATH. That
way we retain backwards compatibility.

If you'd like to rework like that please, otherwise I can take it from
here if you'd like.

> How can I test it with "weird" stuff as subtransactions, shared
> cache invalidation messages...?

make installcheck should cover those.