Re: pgbench \for or similar loop

From: Aidan Van Dyk <aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)gmail(dot)com>, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgbench \for or similar loop
Date: 2011-04-19 17:33:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 1:22 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> I think what that really translates to is "I don't want to bother doing
> the careful design work that Robert talked about". -1 for that approach.

As someone not doing any of that work, agreed ;-)

> I generally feel that such a feature would be better off done
> server-side --- after all, there's more clients in the world than psql
> and pgbench, and not all of them could use a C library even if we had
> one.  But in either case the coding work is going to be dwarfed by the
> design work, if it's done right and not just the-first-hack-that-
> comes-to-mind.

And for the "first-hack-that-comes-to-mind", I find my self pulling
out the named fifo trick all the time, and just leaving my for/loop/if
logic in bash writing SQL commands to the fifo, occasionally getting
psql to write an answer to a file that I then read back in bash....

a.

--
Aidan Van Dyk                                             Create like a god,
aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca                                       command like a king,