Re: Fw: [BUGS] BUG #6011: Some extra messages are output in the event log at PostgreSQL startup

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: MauMau <maumau307(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Fw: [BUGS] BUG #6011: Some extra messages are output in the event log at PostgreSQL startup
Date: 2011-05-12 19:29:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 2:57 PM, Kevin Grittner
>> I wish the fix will be back-patched in 8.3, too.
>
> I guess the question is whether this is a bug which causes more
> problems than the potential breakage which might ensue for someone
> who relies on the current behavior.  How sure can you be that nobody
> relies on seeing those messages?  No information (like a history of
> database start times) is lost without these entries?

I think Tom had the right idea upthread: what we should do is make the
"-s" option to pg_ctl suppress these messages (as it does with similar
messages on Linux). Removing them altogether seems like overkill, for
the reasons you mention.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company