Re: Floating point error

From: Tom Duffey <tduffey(at)trillitech(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Floating point error
Date: 2013-03-01 01:55:15
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Hi Everyone,

To bring closure to this thread, my whole problem was caused by not knowing about the extra_float_digits setting. We have a script that uses COPY to transfer a subset of rows from a very large production table to a test table. The script was not setting extra_float_digits so the values did not match even though they appeared to match when running queries in psql. Definitely another gotcha for floating point values and it might be a good idea to mention this setting on the "Numeric Types" page of the docs.

Thanks to all who chimed in to help!

Tom

--
Tom Duffey