Re: Listen/notify across clusters

From: Greg Jaskiewicz <gryzman(at)mac(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Listen/notify across clusters
Date: 2013-07-15 14:10:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 10 Jul 2013, at 19:26, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:

> Huh? LISTEN/NOTIFY across replication has been a desired feature since
> we introduced streaming replication. We want it, there's just no
> obvious way to do it.
>
> Your email kinda implies that it's not desirable.

Thanks Josh. I was under impression that it is desirable.
It certainly makes sense to be used with the existing database infrastructure.

In terms of features, apart from separating LISTEN so that it can be actually used on Standbys, wouldn't it be a matter of including the notifications in the WAL stream, as simple packets ?
This would guarantee same behaviour as on the master.

--
GJ