Re: Updateable Views?

From: Bernd Helmle <mailings(at)oopsware(dot)de>
To: Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)qwest(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, CSN <cool_screen_name90001(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Updateable Views?
Date: 2004-08-04 09:21:59
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

--On Dienstag, August 03, 2004 20:51:45 -0600 Scott Marlowe
<smarlowe(at)qwest(dot)net> wrote:

> On Tue, 2004-08-03 at 13:05, CSN wrote:
>> Just wondering, is updateable views slated for a
>> future version of Postgresql? In addition to using
>> rules that is.
>
> It's on the todo list. Of course, the just means someone someday should
> do it, but it's not on anybody's personal todo list that I know of.

No, its on mine :)

> I would think that a basic fleshing out of the logic with some kind of
> stored proc to make the views and triggers would likely get someone
> started on the backend work. You know, a proof of concept thingy.

That's exactly what i'm working on. Currently I have a stored procedure
pg_create_view_updrule() that takes the OID of the view _RETURN rule and
forms
an INSERT rule from it (DELETE/UPDATE are not yet implemented). To get down
the query trees is a bit complex, but it seems to work right now, although
there's many i have to do in the next days.....i will post as soon as I
have a working proof-of-concept. Please note that i'm heading for
SQL92-compliance, SQL99 seems a todo for the next-generation.

Bernd