Re: SSL support for javax.sql.DataSource

From: "Albe Laurenz" <all(at)adv(dot)magwien(dot)gv(dot)at>
To: "Kris Jurka *EXTERN*" <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SSL support for javax.sql.DataSource
Date: 2007-06-20 12:01:11
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Kris Jurka wrote:
>> Wouldn't it be a good thing to have SSL support for DataSource
>> connections?
>>
>> It shouldn't be too hard; attached is a patch (against 8.3dev-600)
>> that shows what I mean. It is probably unclean to hard code the
>> NonValidatingFactory...
>
> Especially since it changes the default behavior of the driver to not
> validate. If you'd like to change the default, that discussion should

> happen elsewhere and should affect all the connection
> methods. Why not
> just export the sslfactory option to the DataSource as well?

Sure, that would be easy.

I wanted to know if this was welcome at all, so I started with a simple
patch to explain my idea.

Should I go ahead and write a patch against CVS HEAD, including
sslfactory?
I guess I should write a patch or the documentation too then.

As you say, that discussion should happen elsewhere, but I believe that
SSL without certificate validation would be a good default
because this is the way it is done everywhere else in PostgreSQL.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe