Re: Call stacks and RAISE INFO

From: Florian Pflug <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Call stacks and RAISE INFO
Date: 2011-10-14 22:33:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Oct14, 2011, at 23:51 , Tom Lane wrote:
>>> I meant verbosity, not error level. This quick test shows what I meant
>>> -- but it doesn't work; the server log is altered as I expected (and does not
>>> include the context lines), but not plpgsql's:
>
>> Yeah, what we'd need is a client_error_verbosity setting.
>
> It seems to me that a client-side facility would be unlikely to do the
> right things, because it has not got enough information to know which
> messages came from plpgsql RAISE commands. Moreover, it's not apparent
> that a one-size-fits-all approach is suitable anyhow: it may be that
> some RAISEs don't need context traceback while others could use it.

Hm, I think you'd usually want to adjust the verbosity of log messages
when you *run* code, not when you *write* it. That's the raison d'etre
for having logging infrastructure and verbosity settings, after all.

When I'm running a function from psql interactively, I probably want
to suppress CONTEXT and maybe STATEMENT lines for NOTICEs - presumably
the message itself tells me everything I need to know.

When I'm running the same function in a setting where there messages
go to a log file, I probably want to include as much context information
as necessary in order to be able to debug possible problems post-mortem.

Having said that, having the option to not emit CONTEXT lines in the
first place wouldn't hurt of course.

best regards,
Florian Pflug