Re: Visual Studio 2010/Windows SDK 7.1 support

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Brar Piening <brar(at)gmx(dot)de>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Visual Studio 2010/Windows SDK 7.1 support
Date: 2011-02-09 09:18:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 23:06, Brar Piening <brar(at)gmx(dot)de> wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 21:26:22 +0100, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
> wrote:
>>
>> it's not something we should hold up the CF / release for.
>
> I agree.
> At least it should get some more testing besides mine.
>
> I've set up virtual machines with VS 2003, VS 2005 Express, VS 2008 Express
> (+ my PC with VS 2010) for testing purposes but I didn't test all possible
> build paths with respect to the external libraries to include.

Yeah, the external libraries are really the biggest thing.

> While I didn't change much of the existing VS 2005/8 code I currently can't
> guarantee that the VS 2010 build will work for every possible external
> library one could include (yet I didn't stumble into any failure while
> testing) and still I could have broken some VS 2005/8 build path too.
> The patch could also be extended to automatically support building libpq
> when VS 2003 is detected or support other desireable features that aren't
> really in the context of supporting VS 2010.
>
> Being somewhat short of time in the next weeks I'm at least willing to
> rebase the patch on request and do some more testing or fix issues someone
> else has detected before the next release (9.2?) goes beta.

Sounds good.

> If there's some pressure to support VS 2010 asap - please let me know and
> I'll see what I can do.

I don't think there is, really. It's a "nice to have", but if it comes
in 9.2 instead of 9.1, I don't think that's a problem. 99.9% of all
Win32 users don't build from source in the first place, and I'm sure
Dave is happy not to have to dela with another version ;)

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/