Re: Configuring synchronous replication

From: Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Configuring synchronous replication
Date: 2010-09-21 08:52:42
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On 21 September 2010 09:37, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 9:34 AM, Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com> wrote:
>> I really don't think an XML config would improve anything.  In fact it
>> would just introduce more ways to break the config by the mere fact it
>> has to be well-formed.  I'd be in favour of one similar to
>> pg_hba.conf, because then, at least, we'd still only have 2 formats of
>> configuration.
>
> Want to spend a few days hacking on a config editor for pgAdmin, and
> then re-evaluate that comment?

It would be quicker to add in support for a config format we don't use
yet than to duplicate support for a new config in the same format as
an existing one? Plus it's a compromise between user-screw-up-ability
and machine-readability.

My fear would be standby.conf would be edited by users who don't
really know XML and then we'd have 3 different styles of config to
tell the user to edit.

--
Thom Brown
Twitter: @darkixion