Heartbeat between Primary and Standby replicas

From: fazool mein <fazoolmein(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Heartbeat between Primary and Standby replicas
Date: 2010-09-16 21:49:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello everyone,

I am designing a heartbeat system between replicas to know when a replica
goes down so that necessary measures can be taken. As I see, there are two
ways of doing it:

1) Creating a separate heartbeat process on replicas.
2) Creating a heartbeat message, and sending it over the connection that is
already established between walsender and walreceiver.

With 2, sending heartbeat from walsender to walreceiver seems trivial.
Sending a heartbeat from walreceiver to walsender seems tricky. Going
through the code, it seems that the walreceiver is always in the
PGASYNC_COPY_OUT mode (except in the beginning when handshaking is done).

Can you recommend the right way of doing this?

Thank you.

Regards

Postgres version = 9.0 beta-4