Re: GSoC 2011 - Mentors? Projects?

From: Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Selena Deckelmann <selena(at)chesnok(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: GSoC 2011 - Mentors? Projects?
Date: 2011-03-08 20:13:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello!

I've following project proposal.

Currently GiST index don't have any bulk load functionality. It have to
create new index by entry insertion one by one. This makes new index
creation relatively slow.
There are various works in computer science about bulk operation on R-tree.
Since gist in basic is generalization of R-tree, some of them seems to
be applicable to GiST.
Following work seems to be most applicable to GiST:
"Efficient Bulk Operations on Dynamic R-Trees", L. Arge, K. H. Hinrichs, J.
Vahrenhold and J. S. Vitter
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.135.9894&rep=rep1&type=pdf
I believe that implementation of methods of this work should allow to
significally reduce GiST index creation time (probably, it'll be possible to
achive acceleration of other operations too). Also, it's possible to achive
some results in computer science, since GiST is more general data structure
than R-tree.
I'm going to create wiki page for this project proposal soon.

I'm last year phd. student and I would like to participate in GSoC with
PostgreSQL. I would be especially happy to work with project above or other
project related to indexing.

----
With best regards,
Alexander Korotkov.