Re: Beginner question: Hacking environment?

From: Adrian von Bidder <avbidder(at)fortytwo(dot)ch>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Beginner question: Hacking environment?
Date: 2011-03-08 20:12:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Heyho again!

Now this kind of stuff is what I was after :-)

On Tuesday 08 March 2011 19.04:53 Kevin Grittner wrote:
> That reminds me -- Greg Smith put something together which might
> make it easier to get started:
>
> https://github.com/gregs1104/peg/

Since you don't allow anonymous editing of the wiki, nor have an obvious
"create account", I leave it to you to add this:

+++
How can I easily test my modified postgres version?

You'll want to install PostgreSQL into a local directory (in your home
directory, for instance) to avoid conflicting with a system wide
installation. Use the --prefix=... option to specify an installation
location; --with-pgport to specify a non-standard default port may also be
helpful. To run this instance, you will need to make sure that the correct
binaries are used; depending on your operating system, environment variables
like PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH (on most Linux/Unix-like systems) need to be
set. Setting PGDATA will also be useful.

To avoid having to set this environment up manually, you may want to use
Greg Smith's [href="https://github.com/gregs1104/peg peg] scripts, or the
[https://github.com/PGBuildFarm/client-code scripts] that are used on the
buildfarm.
+++

... and you'll never have to answer to this "stupid" question again ... :-)

thanks & happy hacking
-- vbi

P.S.: those who remember me from many months back may guess that I'm trying
to implement IMMUTABLE columns. But I'll come back when I actually have to
show something, so far I've only managed to break 121 of 124 tests of "make
check". At least initdb miraculously works again.

--
this email is protected by a digital signature: http://fortytwo.ch/gpg