Re: Todays git migration results

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Todays git migration results
Date: 2010-08-16 18:32:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 20:27, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 20:11, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>>> The other thing that I'd like to see some data on is the commit log
>>> entries.  Can we produce anything comparable to cvs2cl output from
>>> the test repository?
>
>> For a single branch, just do "git log <branchname>", e.g. "git log
>> master" or "git log REL8_2_STABLE" on your clone.
>
>> Is that enough, or do you need one for all branches at once?
>
> Well, I guess there are two sub-parts to my question then.  First, and
> most important for the immediate issue, have you done anything to verify
> the commit-message data matches between the cvs and git repositories?

Not beyond manually looking both using "git log" and the gitweb interface.

> Second, does git offer a way to collate matching log entries across
> multiple branches?  The main advantage of cvs2cl has always been that it
> would do that, so that you didn't have to look at five independent log
> entries after a commit that fixed the same bug in five branches...

I don't know about that - somebody else?

If there isn't one, it should be fairly simple to write one, since
tracking the changelog is much easier in git than cvs (given that it's
global and not per-file).

But what really is the usecase there? If you run "git log" on
REL8_4_STABLE you get the changelog for REL8_4_STABLE, and if you run
it on master, you get it for the tip. In that mode, you'll never end
up getting them twice.

Are you saying you want a cross-branch changelog, that also groups all
the commit messages together? Or am I misunderstanding you?

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/