Re: error while autovacuuming

From: Gurjeet Singh <singh(dot)gurjeet(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>, tamanna madaan <tamanna(dot)madan(at)globallogic(dot)com>
Subject: Re: error while autovacuuming
Date: 2010-10-03 08:28:02
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 9:16 PM, Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>wrote:

> On 2/10/2010 5:44 AM, Scott Marlowe wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 2:06 PM, tamanna madaan
>> <tamanna(dot)madan(at)globallogic(dot)com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All
>>>
>>> I am planning to upgrade postgres to avoid this autovacuum problem.
>>>
>>> From the release notes of postgres-8.1.x it seems this issue
>>> has been solved in postgres-8.1.6 and hence upgrading
>>> to latest 8.1 release i.e 8.1.21 will solve this issue.
>>>
>>> But I was just wondering if postgres-8.4 will also be having this fix
>>> (as I couldn't find it in release notes of postgres-8.4).
>>>

>> 8.4 has much better autovacuuming, seeing as it's multithreaded and
>> you can have a lot more control over how it behaves. This fix is
>> definitely in 8.4 and 8.3, or should I say the bug you hit was long
>> gone by the time the 8.4 branch was cut.
>>

> OP: Do be aware that if you jump straight to 8.4, there are some
> incompatibilities that may require changes to your code. The one people seem
> to be bitten by most frequently is the removal of implicit casts to text:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/release-8-3.html
>
> ... but, in general, you should read the release notes for each major
> version and see if you need to change anything to achieve a smooth upgrade.

I think, from the beginning the OP has been unaware of the fact that
upgrading to latest minor release does not require a huge effort, and that
it involves very low risk of breaking any applications, Slony or otherwise.

OP should have been pointed to our versioning policy at
http://www.postgresql.org/support/versioning . That would have kept this
thread very short.

gurjeet.singh
@ EnterpriseDB - The Enterprise Postgres Company
http://www.EnterpriseDB.com

singh(dot)gurjeet(at){ gmail | yahoo }.com
Twitter/Skype: singh_gurjeet

Mail sent from my BlackLaptop device