Re: cross column correlation revisted

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL - Hans-Jürgen Schönig <postgres(at)cybertec(dot)at>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Boszormenyi Zoltan <zb(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Subject: Re: cross column correlation revisted
Date: 2010-07-14 15:13:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> If the combination of columns is actually interesting, there might well
> be an index in place, or the DBA might be willing to create it.

Indexes aren't free, though, nor even close to it.

Still, I think we should figure out the underlying mechanism first and
then design the interface afterwards. One idea I had was a way to say
"compute the MCVs and histogram buckets for this table WHERE
<predicate>". If you can prove predicate for a particular query, you
can use the more refined statistics in place of the full-table
statistics. This is fine for the breast cancer case, but not so
useful for the zip code/street name case (which seems to be the really
tough one).

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company