Re: Re: starting to review the Extend NOT NULL representation to pg_constraint patch

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andrew Geery <andrew(dot)geery(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Bernd Helmle <mailings(at)oopsware(dot)de>
Subject: Re: Re: starting to review the Extend NOT NULL representation to pg_constraint patch
Date: 2010-10-14 15:42:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 10:02 AM, Andrew Geery <andrew(dot)geery(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> I didn’t have much time to look at the code.  The only thing I’ll
> mention is that there are a couple of XXX TODO items that should be
> cleared up.
[...]
> Since this patch actually makes inheritance behave in a more expected
> way, nothing needs to be changed in the inheritance documentation.
> However, at the very least, the documentation dealing with the
> pg_catalog [http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/interactive/catalog-pg-constraint.html]
> needs to be updated to deal with the new constraint type.

Thanks for catching these problems.

> I did a sanity make clean && make && make check before applying the
> patch and all the tests passed.  After applying the patch and doing
> make clean && make && make check, I got a number of failures of the
> form “FAILED (test process exited with exit code 2)”.  The exact
> number of failures varies by run, so I’m wondering if I didn’t do
> something wrong...

That indicates that PostgreSQL is crashing. So I think this patch is
definitely not ready for prime time yet, and needs some debugging. In
view of the fact that we are out of time for this CommitFest, I'm
going to mark this Returned with Feedback in the CommitFest
application. Hopefully it will be resubmitted for the next CommitFest
after further refinement, because I think this is a good and useful
improvement.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company