Re: Re: Proposed Windows-specific change: Enable crash dumps (like core files)

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: Proposed Windows-specific change: Enable crash dumps (like core files)
Date: 2010-12-19 16:39:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 17:28, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 11:07 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> I agree that having the crash dump code know anything specific about the
>> contents of shared memory is a nonstarter --- far too fragile.  But
>> perhaps we could have some simple rule based only on what the kernel
>> knows about the shmem block, like "dump shmem if it's no more than 1GB".
>
> Not sure what knobs we have available, but would there be any value in
> trying to dump the FIRST 1GB?

So such knob that I can find. Basically, we pick a combination of the flags at

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms680519(v=VS.85).aspx

We could send it as a "user stream", i guess, but it won't be
available in the debugger at the same address space then - just as a
blob of data to process manually. I doubt it's worth it in that
case...

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/