Data Software Engineer @ Yodle, NYC

From: Aviv Wecler <AWecler(at)yodle(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-jobs(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-jobs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Data Software Engineer @ Yodle, NYC
Date: 2012-12-18 15:36:51
Lists: pgsql-jobs

Yodle is looking for Software Engineer for our Data team. Sorry, we can't consider remote, freelance, part-time workers.

Key skills desired : PostgreSQL or SQL Server and Java (or other modern programming language)

Who is Yodle? Yodle's goal is to help small businesses across the US and Canada grow their business through online marketing. Yodle's Engineering team of 35 powers our 900 person, 130MM company that serves over 35,000 customers. www.yodle.com<http://www.yodle.com>

Yodle's data team ensures high quality data, effective analytics and reliable reporting for our business. The data team empowers all departments by building self-service tools and systems for ad-hoc data exploration and scheduled reports and helps the business answer questions using data that isn't yet available in self-serve tools. The team delivers critical reporting needs to the business correctly and on-time. We are looking for a software engineer who is business focused, moves fast and gets things done, and enjoys working in a cross functional team setting.

Yodle's goal is to help small businesses across the US and Canada grow their business through online marketing. Yodle's Engineering team of 45 powers our 900 person, 130MM company that serves over 35,000 customers.

Responsibilities
*

Data software engineers are focused on reporting and data needs. Doing this requires working with a very wide range of software and technologies. In fulfilling data needs you will work as closely as needed with the data collecting technologies we use and do whatever is needed to get that data in the best form to the people who need it. Our engineers solve a variety of complex and challenging business problems with cutting edge technology.
* Use an agile development process, perform code reviews, run automated unit tests.
* We have shared ownership of our code base. Anyone can and is expected to work on and improve any piece of code.
* We use PostgreSQL and Microsoft SQL Server databases, as well as some limited use of MongoDB and MySQL
* Our product is primarily written in Java, but we've got some work in Python and other languages.
* Our engineers work closely with each group on their larger data needs and help them understand which data they need to solve the problem at hand.

Qualifications
*

2 + years of experience
* Strong SQL skills .
* Experience writing queries in SQL, ideally with PostgreSQL and Microsoft SQL Server. Experience writing stored procedures and triggers is a strong plus.
* Familiar with database design best practices and query tuning techniques
* Excellent coding and design skills. Software that works, is reliable, testable and maintainable should be what you do by default.
* You enjoy writing software and take pride in what you build.
* Having programmed in Java will help you get going faster, but your primary languages aren't as important as being a great programmer.
* Strong communications skills, both written and verbal
* Analytical ability to build an Analytics Practice that uses appropriate problem definition, methodology, data extraction methods and that deliver practical, digestible and actionable insights for our business; leverages data and subjective findings to lead to sound, actionable business decisions
* Attention to detail to attend to every aspect of a project required for its success
* Business acumen including knowing how businesses work; knowledgeable in current and possible future policies, practices, trends, technology, and information affecting his / her business and organization; knowing the competition and awareness of how strategies and tactics work in the marketplace
* Collaborative mindset including leveraging others' knowledge and points of view to improve products; can represent his/her own interests and yet be fair to other groups; effective understanding that the collaborative effort of the department is what insures our success; understanding that success is dependent on individual effort and maintains a commitment to contribute and respect the contributions of others.
* Creativity in developing new insights into situations and applying innovative solutions to make organizational improvements; desire to help create a work environment that encourages creative thinking, innovation and implementation of new or cutting - edge programs / processes
* BA/BS in Computer Science or other relevant area of study.
To apply : send resume to awecler at yodle.com or visit our careers site here : http://www.yodlecareers.com/jobs/new-york/software-engineer-data-team/
__

Aviv Wecler
Recruiting Lead