Re: Modeling trees with Nested Sets and Nested Intervals

From: Michael Glaesemann <grzm(at)myrealbox(dot)com>
To: Daniel Browning <db(at)kavod(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Modeling trees with Nested Sets and Nested Intervals
Date: 2006-04-10 01:14:07
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Apr 7, 2006, at 16:28 , Daniel Browning wrote:

> * Static Hierarchies and Binary Fractions in PostgreSQL, by Michael
> Glaesemann
> http://www.grzm.com/fornow/archives/2004/07/10/static_hierarchies
>
> This is the most complete out-of-the-box solution I've found.

I wrote up Tropashko's method because I had found enough material on
the nested set method on the web to apply it to PostgreSQL (which
works quite well once you get it set up) and was interested in seeing
what else was out there. Though, as you note, there's no ready-to-go
nested set solution specifically for PostgreSQL. You may also want to
take a look at contib/ltree in the PostgreSQL sources for handling
hierarchical data. I haven't used it myself, but many others smarter
than me have reported satisfaction with it.

If you start implementing the nested set method and have some
questions, feel free to post them here. I'm sure someone will be able
to answer them.

Good luck!

Michael Glaesemann
grzm myrealbox com