Streaming binary data into db, difference between Blob and LargeO bject

From: Andreas Prohaska <ap(at)apeiron(dot)de>
To: "'pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Streaming binary data into db, difference between Blob and LargeO bject
Date: 2003-09-10 08:23:04
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hi!

What's the difference in the current (7.3.4) JDBC driver between
ordinary JDBC Blobs and the LargeObject API in matters of *streaming*
data into the DB? I don't want to allocate a buffer in the Java VM to
hold the whole blob and send the blob in one piece. Rather I would like
to work with a small buffer (~4kb) and stream the blob from the
filesystem into the db.

Looking at the AbstractJdbc2Blob class I think that JDBC Blobs internally
use LargeObjects. As I know, this was not the case in earlier versions
of the driver. Am I right?

So far, I'm using LargeObjects and everything works fine, but I intend to
use c-jdbc for db replication and would have to use JDBC blobs then.

Thanks a lot.

Andreas