What's the point of json_extract_path_op etc?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: What's the point of json_extract_path_op etc?
Date: 2014-06-25 18:46:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Why do we have essentially duplicate pg_proc entries for json_extract_path
and json_extract_path_op? The latter is undocumented and seems only to be
used as the infrastructure for the #> operator. I see that only the
former is marked variadic, but AFAIK the operator machinery couldn't care
less about that, so it seems to me we could get rid of the
json_extract_path_op entry and point the operator at json_extract_path.

Likewise for json_extract_path_text_op, jsonb_extract_path_op, and
jsonb_extract_path_text_op.