Re: array exclusion constraints

From: Antonin Houska <ah(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: array exclusion constraints
Date: 2014-11-13 21:03:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

francisk(at)hush(dot)com wrote:

> CREATE TABLE test (
> foo text[],
> EXCLUDE USING gist (foo WITH &&)
> );
>
> ERROR: data type text[] has no default operator class for access method "gist"
> HINT: You must specify an operator class for the index or define a default operator class for the data type.
>
> It looks like exclusion constraints don't work with arrays, there's no gist opclass for them. This would be a nice to have feature and, if I recall correctly, exclusion constraints were meant to work both with ranges and arrays. Am I missing something?

I recall I spent some time thinking about this issue, and even could find the
link (also referenced in "Indexes" section of
https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/TODO)

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CA+TgmobZhfRJNyz-fyw5kDtRurK0HjWP0vtP5fGZLE6eVSWCQw@mail.gmail.com

Regarding implementation, more recent thread summarizes the difficulties:

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/5297DC17.7000608@proxel.se

--
Antonin Houska
Cybertec Schönig & Schönig GmbH