Re: alter user/role CURRENT_USER

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: Adam Brightwell <adam(dot)brightwell(at)crunchydatasolutions(dot)com>, Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, "Marti R(dot)" <marti(at)juffo(dot)org>, Rushabh Lathia <rushabh(dot)lathia(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: alter user/role CURRENT_USER
Date: 2014-10-30 20:59:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> The other idea which comes to mind is- could we try to actually resolve
> what the 'right' answer is here, instead of setting a special value and
> then having to detect and fix it later?

No, absolutely not. Read the NOTES at the head of gram.y. Or if you
need it spelled out: when we run the bison parser, we may not be inside a
transaction at all, and even if we are, we aren't necessarily going to
be seeing the same current user that will apply when the parsetree is
ultimately executed. (Consider a query inside a plpgsql function, which
might be called under multiple userids over the course of a session.)

I think Alvaro's suggestion is a perfectly appropriate solution.