error connecting to database

From: Alexander Cohen <alex(at)toomuchspace(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: error connecting to database
Date: 2004-10-01 18:42:07
Lists: pgsql-general

Im trying to connect locally to a database on a running postgres
cluster. If i connect with psql, everything is fine and i can transact.
I i try and connect in my own app, i get this error:

Could not connect to server: permission denied.
connections on Unix domain socket "/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432"

I know for a fact postgres is running, i can see with <ps> and also
<top> in the terminal on Mac OSX 10.3.5.

What exctly does this error message mean? What permissions is this
error talking about?

Alex