Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Add configure option --with-system-tzdata to use operating system

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)sun(dot)com>, Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Add configure option --with-system-tzdata to use operating system
Date: 2007-08-23 17:48:42
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

> FWIW, hardwiring plus an environment variable would seem to address all
> currently known und unknown requirements, and is not so totally
> different from solutions to previous, related problems.

I think we are converging on the recognition that Zdenek was right the
first time. I'd go for plain hardwired --- I think an environment
variable is more likely to be a foot-gun than anything useful.
(Recall the original argument that choosing to use an external TZ
database is not something to be done lightly.)