Re: local_preload_libraries logspam

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: local_preload_libraries logspam
Date: 2013-05-08 02:01:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Tue, 2013-05-07 at 14:28 -0700, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
>> It seems like an oversight to me that local_preload_libraries causes a
>> new log message to appear each time a new connection is established.

> It is correct in my view (but perhaps I have just gotten used to it),
> but I wouldn't mind if you wanted to make an informed change.

It seems reasonable to me to reduce it to DEBUG1 level. In most
use-cases, that message will appear on every backend start, rendering
its usefulness debatable. Peter's characterization as "log spam" might
be excessive, but probably not by much.

On the other hand, if we have it as DEBUG2 in the EXEC_BACKEND code
path, I would be willing to argue that that's too low. If you're
starting to feel a need to inquire into the backend's behavior, knowing
about loaded modules seems like one of the first things you need to know
about. Hence, I'd vote for DEBUG1.