Re: Show INHERIT in \du

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bernd Helmle <mailings(at)oopsware(dot)de>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Brendan Jurd <direvus(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Show INHERIT in \du
Date: 2008-02-14 16:42:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Bernd Helmle <mailings(at)oopsware(dot)de> writes:
> --On Donnerstag, Februar 14, 2008 10:27:37 -0300 Alvaro Herrera
>> I wonder if it's possible to create a more compact output -- say, a
>> fixed-width column, with a letter for each enabled attribute, or a space
>> in the respective position when the attribute is disabled.

> Hmm, i don't think that makes it easier to read, especially when you get a
> long list of role names and the legend at the bottom of it.

Also, what about localization? In some languages you might need to
resort to ugly phrasings to avoid having the same prefix letter for
several attributes.

Now that psql prints multiline field values nicely, maybe it'd work
to fold all the boolean attributes into one column. I'm imagining
something like

Role name | Privileges | Member of
postgres | superuser | {}
| create role |