Re: How to wait until startup completes

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Gary Horton <Gary(dot)Horton(at)Sun(dot)COM>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to wait until startup completes
Date: 2005-06-01 02:59:44
Lists: pgsql-general

Gary Horton <Gary(dot)Horton(at)Sun(dot)COM> writes:
> [ assorted startup problems ]

You did not say what platform this is on, nor which Postgres version
you are running. Tsk tsk.

As for the setpgrp business, that doesn't sound real unreasonable.
I use nohup for that purpose, and it seems to work fine on all the
platforms I use, but perhaps on yours setpgrp is the best incantation.
(Of course, for ordinary production work you should be launching the
postmaster from an init script and not from a manual command at all...)

The -w-doesn't-wait-long-enough bit needs investigation. There are
known failure modes for -w, like setting up your access permissions
so that pg_ctl can't log in, but AFAIK that results in waiting till
timeout not in falling through immediately. Are any messages produced
when you do this? If you don't see anything, try running the script
with -x to see what it's doing exactly.