Re: Attention PL authors: want to be listed in template table?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Thomas Hallgren <thhal(at)mailblocks(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Attention PL authors: want to be listed in template table?
Date: 2005-09-07 23:13:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thomas Hallgren <thhal(at)mailblocks(dot)com> writes:
> GCJ is a clean house implementation of Java. They don't use the runtime
> libraries from Sun and they are not really there yet in their efforts to
> copy the functionality. One of the things that lag behind is security.
> They hope to have a better security implementation before the year end
> but there's no promise.

OK, so that is a transient limitation of the GCJ work, not something
fundamental. Thanks for clarifying. In that case I agree that trying
to restrict it mechanically isn't a good idea --- the code restriction
would still be around after the problem was gone.

I still think this is irrelevant to the PL template discussion, however,
since neither our past approach nor either of the proposals will make it
the least bit difficult for a user to mislabel pljava as TRUSTED when
the underlying implementation isn't really trustworthy.

(What the PL template approach *would* do is make it difficult to create
a language that is trusted but named pljavau, or untrusted and named
pljava. Personally I don't see that as a bad thing, however. The
opportunity for confusion is far too great if you go against the
established naming conventions.)