Re: SMP scaling

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Mark Rae <mrae(at)purplebat(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, postgres list <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SMP scaling
Date: 2005-03-18 18:31:51
Lists: pgsql-general

Mark Rae <mrae(at)purplebat(dot)com> writes:
> The altix still only scales up to 10x rather than 16x, but that probably
> is the NUMA configuration taking effect now.

BTW, although I know next to nothing about NUMA, I do know that it is
configurable to some extent (eg, via numactl). What was the
configuration here exactly, and did you try alternatives? Also,
what was the OS exactly? (I've heard that RHEL4 is a whole lot better
than RHEL3 in managing NUMA, for example. This may be generic to 2.6 vs
2.4 Linux kernels, or maybe Red Hat did some extra hacking.)