Re: Syntax decisions for pl/pgsql RAISE extension

From: Decibel! <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, "Pavel Stehule" <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Syntax decisions for pl/pgsql RAISE extension
Date: 2008-05-13 16:07:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On May 12, 2008, at 11:53 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
> 3. I think we should allow the user to specify the error message the
> same way as the other options, that is
> RAISE level USING MESSAGE = string_expression [ , ... ]
> The %-format business has always struck me as a bit weird, and it's
> much more so if we aren't handling the other error report components
> in the same fashion. So we ought to provide an alternative that's
> more uniform.

I'm entirely in favor of allowing string expressions; that's always
been a huge shortcoming in RAISE.

I'm entirely opposed to getting rid of % substitution. It's
incredibly useful; I have it in probably 80% of my RAISE statements.
It encourages providing more detailed error messages, which is a Good
Thing.
--
Decibel!, aka Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect decibel(at)decibel(dot)org