Re: misleading error message in 8.5, and bad (?) way deferred uniqueness works

From: Dean Rasheed <dean(dot)a(dot)rasheed(at)googlemail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: depesz(at)depesz(dot)com, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: misleading error message in 8.5, and bad (?) way deferred uniqueness works
Date: 2009-08-11 19:20:23
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> Anyway it's looking like a slightly nontrivial project.  Maybe we should
> just rephrase the error message Hubert is complaining about.

Yeah, I can't think of any simple way of distinguishing the 2 error
conditions in that code. Perhaps adding a suitable hint would help, as
well as re-wording the error message:

ERROR: deferrable constraint "foo" does not exist
HINT: You must specify the name of a constraint declared with the
DEFERRABLE option.

- Dean