Re: Improving executor performance

From: Doug Doole <dougdoole(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Improving executor performance
Date: 2016-11-04 17:52:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Attached (in patch 0003) is a proof-of-concept implementing an
> expression evalution framework that doesn't use recursion. Instead
> ExecInitExpr2 computes a number of 'steps' necessary to compute an
> expression. These steps are stored in a linear array, and executed one
> after another (save boolean expressions, which can jump to later steps).
> E.g. to compute colname = 1 the steps are 1) fetch var, 2) evaluate
> const, 3) call function.
We've been having trouble with the performance of simple expressions in
PLpgSQL so I started playing with this patch. (No sense re-inventing the
wheel after all.) It was straightforward to extend to simple expressions
and showed an immediate improvement (~10% faster on a simple test).
Running in our full environment highlighted a few areas that I think are
worth more investigation.

However, before I tackle that, is the posted proof-of-concept still the
latest and greatest? If not, any chance of getting the latest?

Going forward, I'd be happy to collaborate on our efforts.

- Doug Doole
Salesforce