Re: Help with optimizing a sql statement

From: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Rafael Martinez Guerrero <r(dot)m(dot)guerrero(at)usit(dot)uio(dot)no>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Help with optimizing a sql statement
Date: 2006-02-10 06:05:42
Lists: pgsql-performance

> Are you sure this WHERE clause really expresses your intent? It seems
> awfully oddly constructed. Removing the redundant parens and clarifying
> the layout, I get
> That next-to-last major AND clause seems a rather unholy mix of join and
> restriction clauses; I wonder if it's not buggy in itself.

FYI RT uses a perl module called SearchBuilder which constructs these queries
dynamically. So he's probably not really free to fiddle with the query all he
wants.

At the very least I would suggest checking the changelog for SearchBuilder for
more recent versions. There have been a lot of tweaks for working with
Postgres. In the past it really only worked properly with MySQL.

--
greg