Re: Limited Sort

From: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Limited Sort
Date: 2006-09-18 18:35:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru> writes:

> When we was talking about optimizing 'ORDER BY .. LIMIT' with Oleg and Alvaro
> at conference, we was thinking to make new executor's node - Partial Sort. And
> planner may choose which nodes to use: nodeSort and nodeLimit or
> nodePartialSort.

That's an interesting option too. Certainly it preserves the kind of
separation between nodes that we have currently. It also might make costing
the plan more practical.

The downside would be that we would start having a proliferation of nodes.
Several node types can take advantage of a limit.

--
Gregory Stark