Re: Simple postgresql.conf wizard

From: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
Cc: jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Simple postgresql.conf wizard
Date: 2008-12-04 08:36:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com> writes:

> On Thu, 4 Dec 2008, Gregory Stark wrote:
>
>> My point was more that you could have a data warehouse on a non-dedicated
>> machine, you could have a web server on a non-dedicated machine, or you could
>> have a mixed server on a non-dedicated machine.
>
> I should just finish the documentation, where there will be a big disclaimer
> saying "THESE SETTINGS ASSUME A SERVER DEDICATED TO POSTGRESQL!" That's the
> context here. Why, after you follow my tuning instructions, you're lucky if
> the server will run anything but the database afterwards.

So you're getting rid of the "desktop" mode altogether? That's more drastic
than I was suggesting. I was suggesting that you want to separate "desktop"
into a separate option form the workload list.

What users are getting now is kind of like asking users "Would you like a
small, medium, large, or diet Coke?"

--
Gregory Stark