Re: Disk corruption detection

From: Florian Weimer <fw(at)deneb(dot)enyo(dot)de>
To: Lincoln Yeoh <lyeoh(at)pop(dot)jaring(dot)my>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Disk corruption detection
Date: 2006-06-12 17:35:28
Lists: pgsql-general

* Lincoln Yeoh:

> At 07:42 PM 6/11/2006 +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:
>
>>We recently had a partially failed disk in a RAID-1 configuration
>>which did not perform a write operation as requested. Consequently,
>
> What RAID1 config/hardware/software was this?

I would expect that any RAID-1 controller works in this mode by
default. It's an analogy to RAID-5: In that case, you clearly can't
verify the parity bits on read for performance reasons. So why do it
for RAID-1?

(If there is a controller which offers compare-on-read for RAID-1, I
would like to know it's name. 8-)