Re: Mailing archive URL stability

From: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: "Magnus Hagander" <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, "Decibel!" <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>, <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Bruce Momjian" <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Mailing archive URL stability
Date: 2008-02-12 15:26:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

"Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com> writes:

> Still, it would be pretty useful to have a facility for searching
> messages by Message-Id (which are unique and immutable). If the "patch
> queue" consisted solely of Message-Ids, it would be pretty easy and
> quick to locate the exact message in the archives.

The nice thing about using message-ids would be that we could locate those
messages in other storage aside from the archives -- such as our local mail
spool.

(The down-side is that message-ids are not necessarily unique. In particular
it doesn't identify which copy of a message you're referring to when it was
sent to addresses. Mailers also sometimes mess up and generate duplicate
message-ids. But I don't think either of these issues affect us here though.)

--
Gregory Stark