Re: Simple postgresql.conf wizard

From: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Simple postgresql.conf wizard
Date: 2008-12-04 01:15:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com> writes:

> Is it worse to suffer from additional query overhead if you're sloppy with
> the tuning tool, or to discover addition partitions didn't work as you
> expected?

Surely that's the same question we faced when deciding what the Postgres
default should be?

That and the unstated other question "Is someone more likely to use partitions
without reading the manual or not use partitions without reading the manual
about the down-sides of constraint_exclusion (in the partitioning
section....)"

--
Gregory Stark