Re: Extensions, this time with a patch

From: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr>
To: Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Extensions, this time with a patch
Date: 2010-11-22 09:36:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> I checked cfparser.v2.patch.

Thanks for reviewing it!

> It exports the static parseRecoveryCommandFileLine() in xlog.c
> as the global cfParseOneLine() in cfparser.c without modification.
>
> It generates one warning, but it can be easily fixed.
> cfparser.c:34: warning: no previous prototype for 'cfParseOneLine'

Mmmm, that must have been a cherry-picking error on my side, it seems I
forgot to include this patch in the cfparser branch. Sorry about that.

http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb?p=postgresql-extension.git;a=commitdiff;h=e6b4c670a0189ee8a799521af06c1ee63f9e530e

> Some discussions about the patch:
>
> * Is "cf" the best name for the prefix? Less abbreviated forms might
> be less confusable. Personally, I prefer "conf".

Will change accordingly if that's the choice.

> * Can we export ParseConfigFile() in guc-file.l rather than
> parseRecoveryCommandFileLine()? It can solve the issue that unquoted
> parameter values in recovery.conf are not recognized. Even if we
> won't merge them, just allowing unquoted values would be useful.

Should we then consider recovery.conf entries as ordinary GUCs? That
would allow to connect to a standby and issue 'show primary_conninfo'
there. This has been asked before, already.

Dimitri Fontaine