Re: WITHIN GROUP patch

From: Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Atri Sharma <atri(dot)jiit(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Vik Fearing <vik(dot)fearing(at)dalibo(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: WITHIN GROUP patch
Date: 2013-12-06 21:06:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> Please don't object that that doesn't look exactly like the syntax
>> for calling the function, because it doesn't anyway --- remember
>> you also need ORDER BY in the call.

Tom> Actually, now that I think of it, why not use this syntax for
Tom> declaration and display purposes:

Tom> type1, type2 ORDER BY type3, type4

Tom> This has nearly as much relationship to the actual calling
Tom> syntax as the WITHIN GROUP proposal does,

But unfortunately it looks exactly like the calling sequence for a
normal aggregate with an order by clause - I really think that is
potentially too much confusion. (It's one thing not to look like
the calling syntax, it's another to look exactly like a valid
calling sequence for doing something _different_.)

--
Andrew (irc:RhodiumToad)