Re: WIP Patch for GROUPING SETS phase 1

From: Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>, Atri Sharma <atri(dot)jiit(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WIP Patch for GROUPING SETS phase 1
Date: 2014-08-22 15:34:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> (This of course means that if someone has a cube() function call
>> in a group by clause of a view, then upgrading will change the
>> meaning of the view and possibly fail to create it; there seems to
>> be no fix for this, not even using the latest pg_dump, since
>> pg_dump relies on the old server's ruleutils)

Alvaro> This sucks. Can we tweak pg_dump to check for presence of
Alvaro> the cube extension, and if found refuse to dump unless a
Alvaro> minor version older than some hardcoded version (known to
Alvaro> have fixed ruleutils) is used?

I honestly don't think it's worth it. cube() is not a function that
really makes any sense in a GROUP BY, though of course someone could
have written their own function called cube() that does something
else; while this case is a problem, it is also likely to be
vanishingly rare.

--
Andrew (irc:RhodiumToad)