Just-in-time compiling things (was: asynchronous and vectorized execution)

From: Andreas Seltenreich <seltenreich(at)gmx(dot)de>
To: Konstantin Knizhnik <k(dot)knizhnik(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers\(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Just-in-time compiling things (was: asynchronous and vectorized execution)
Date: 2016-05-14 09:10:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Konstantin Knizhnik writes:

> Latest information from ISP RAS guys: them have made good progress
> since February: them have rewritten most of methods of Scan, Aggregate
> and Join to LLVM API.

Is their work available somewhere? I'm experimenting in that area as
well, although I'm using libFirm instead of LLVM. I wonder what their
motivation to rewrite backend code in LLVM IR was, since I am following
the approach of keeping the IR around when compiling the vanilla
postgres C code, possibly inlining it during JIT and then doing
optimizations on this IR. That way the logic doesn't have to be
duplicated.

regrads
Andreas