Re: Testing the async-commit patch

From: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Testing the async-commit patch
Date: 2007-08-14 10:01:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> But to get to the point: the urgency of testing the patch more
> extensively has just moved up a full order of magnitude,

The problem testing this patch is that the window for a committed transaction
to not be synced is quite narrow, especially for the regression tests. For
testing purposes I wonder if there are ways we can widen this window. Some
ideas, some wackier than others, are:

. Raise the default wal_writer_delay to 5s or so -- also temporary until
release

. Add an ifdef USE_ASSERT_CHECKING which randomly omits setting hint bits even
when it could.

. add an ifdef USE_ASSERT_CHECKING which randomly fails to update the LSN when
syncing WAL so that even after a buffer flush we still can't set hint bits.

Only the first one isn't really wacky, but perhaps there's something there.

--
Gregory Stark